Monday, April 19, 2010

A Radical Experiment in Waking Up

I am the CHAMPION SNOOZE ALARMER! I've been a snoozer ever since high school-it's an evil invention, that snooze button. But there is just something about ENJOYING the coziness and luxurious comfort of that fluffy bed that makes me want to get back in it. Although I completely appreciate a good night's sleep, when you're enjoying a good night's sleep, you can't truly appreciate the coziness and luxurious comfort of your fluffy bed. As I've gotten older and more achy and after the hip-separating experience of child-birth, I've become accustomed to cozying up to a pillow between my bony elbows and another between my bony knees. I'm not sure I even move during the night.

I'm still an early riser. The alarm is set for 5:30 and I snooze until just before 6:00. I started getting up early when the kids were littler-I craved the early morning quiet before the busyness of the morning. Now that they're not waking up at the crack of dawn and tumbling out of bed at various times, I can still get a good hour of quiet before they make their way downstairs. They're also pretty self-sufficient so I can do other things to get ready for the day as they're having breakfast.

I love snoozing so much, I actually gave it up for lent one year when I was still working. It was so bad that I would snooze for about 20-30 minutes, take a shower and then get back into bed. I really didn't like my job. Unless I have a particularly bad night of sleep, I don't crawl back into bed anymore but I still LOVE to snooze.

I've found that this forum is GREAT for motivation and accountability-even though not many people read it yet. So, starting tomorrow, I'm not going to hit the snooze button. There, I said it. I'm going to try a week (that's reasonable) of getting up when the alarm tells me to. I just want to see if it makes my day more productive. I know I'll be more tired on the other end which doesn't work well for Mark's work schedule-he gets home late 3 nights a week and I do enjoy our time together. A week shouldn't kill us though.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I look forward to hearing how your week goes.