Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Case For Doing Less

I love when you come across something that demonstrates by data what you know intuitively. This article explains the pitfalls of multitasking, a practice at which,  admittedly, I stink. When I was younger, I was ashamed of my inability to do more than one thing at a time really well. This, coupled with my interest in many things....sports, school, fun with friends and family, working, I accepted early on that I'd never be the highest scorer, but I'd be decent, I'd never be the valedictorian but I did well enough. For me it was a matter of what gave me satisfaction and joy. It was never only one thing. Maybe I also wasn't willing to make the sacrifices to be the best at any one thing. Laziness? Maybe but I think the article makes a good case for the idea that it's best to apply yourself singularly to the task at hand. I've always been pretty good at that.

I can remember all through high school, college and even graduate school longing for the day that I just could have a job because finally, I'd only have one thing to do. I played sports and worked through high school and college. Worked though law school. I really thought it would be so easy to just have a job after law school, but I got married the month before I started my first job-so there went testing my theory.

I admire people who can do many things and seem to do it well but I always wonder whether they're really joyful or content. Since I've been home with the kids and began to view the role as a vocation rather than a job, I've been completely content.

While being home requires many tasks, I'm still no good at performing more than one at a time. I read blogs where moms can make dinner and minister the hearts of the children. Knit and listen to their teens spill their guts. Meet the needs of their children and their husband simultaneously. Paint the living room and organize a school fundraiser. Sometimes I envy those moms who can meet the needs of many and do a lot of things at once, but usually I remind myself that I am the way I am and I do the best I can. And the article above gives me reason to be accept my limitations.