Friday, February 26, 2010

Out of the Home Work History-Letting Go


We have a steel 4-drawer filing cabinet in our basement. It is nice to have, but I'm realizing that it's also a nice place to hold onto the past. As part of the 40 bags in 40 days challenge, I've been looking at my spaces with different glasses.

In addition to our tax files, appliance warranty things,  7 years' worth of returned checks and bank statements (do I really need these), and some personal things like resume samples and other job-search forms, I have been keeping almost 2 drawers full of old case files. Some from my days as a federal clerk, some from cases that I worked on that include lots of my legal writing. Other files contain forms and resources for employment law-related issues since that was my area of practice.

I haven't worked full-time for 13 years but I was keeping these files "just in case". Just in case of what? Aside from a few writing samples, no prospective employer is interested in the nitty-gritty of any of those cases. Part of my reason for keeping them is that they reflect professional successes so I guess, it was emotional attachment, too. But I am years past needing validation from my days in the working world. I really don't care about that anymore.

To be honest, my brain doesn't really even process the legal language anymore. Anyone who might hire me in the future-quit reading now-but I don't remember ANYTHING! As a former federal clerk, I knew the federal rules pretty thoroughly, I don't even recognize them anymore. 12(b)(6)? Huh? I have to attend continuing education classes in order to keep my license active. I only do it as insurance in case Mark loses his job or something worse. I bumped into a classmate who is also staying home but keeping up with requirements and we were both talking about how we'd be in trouble if we had to work again. She asked whether I could write anything in blue book form (a legal writing standard for briefs), my response was I forgot there was a blue book form. My point is, I didn't need 2 drawers full of files which basically remind me every time I look at them that I don't remember anything.

Aside from a couple of writing samples, the files are GONE!

Next up-and I might need your help with this....a stack of VHS tapes from my college basketball games. Even the most relentless purgers among you have to admit, that that's a tricky one.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good for you! You're going for the hard emotional stuff. I know what you mean about forgetting what you knew. Someone in a business class was recently asking for help and my friend said, "Maybe you can help her, you have an M.B.A., right?" I said yes I do, but I didn't tell her that it's all a blur.

I'm going through some videos now in the Living Room. Do you think you'll watch those basketball tapes? I'm stuck on my sewing machine instruction video and bridal shower videos that came out dark. And what about those videos and teeth samples of the kids from 7 years ago taken in case they were ever missing?

Beth said...

Cheryl,
As you'll see from my most recent post, I decided to chuck the basketball videos. As far as your videos...

Sewing machine video...I'd ask how long you've had the sewing machine and whether in all that time you've watched the video even once. I think most things can be found on the internet.

Shower video...unless there's something hilarious, I'd get rid of it. Have you BEEN to a shower recently? They're boring. No offense. Bolstering my argument is that it's poor quality. If you have good photos, no need to keep a bad video.

ID video... You probably have enough recent video of the kids and your dentist has more accurate dental records and that just has creepy mojo so run, don't walk to the trash bin.