Monday, February 22, 2010

Update on Everything

1. I'm plugging along on the 40 bags challenge. It is forcing me to evaluate everything that takes up space in the house-even in the nooks and crannies. Sarah's update is inspiring. Empty drawers are possible....even for a family of 7! Surely, I can get there for some of the drawers and shelves.

2. CAMCORDER...I did it. I dropped it off at the thrift store today. I considered taking the battery off and giving it to my brother. I really should have. But oh, the energy that would have sapped. Phone call, debate-does he want it-set it aside and then forget to give it to him EVERY TIME I SEE HIM. Much less energy just to let go.

3. CDs- Even thinking about playing some of my CDs gives me a headache. I purged about 15 CDs. I would never touch Mark's. Some are just too hard to part with and for now, I won't. I would like to share them with the kids but also, some are just fun to dance or listen to. I definitely will revisit this often. But Pandora just might cure me of the attachment to some of my music. I'm way past how much I spent on them. I could sell them on Half.com but that's too much trouble and I honestly don't want to invest the energy. I'm slowly progressing in this area and it's likely that before the 6 month deadline, most, if not all of my CD collection will be out of the house.

4. My friend, Amanda, recommended this book and it's the perfect read for my efforts to simplify, especially during lent. It's good to get a dose of radical detachment. I was glad our library system had it, otherwise, I probably would have purchased it-ironic, no? Nothing would make me happier to clear the closets and start walking around in a tunic.

I think that's all the updating for now. I'm off on a new adventure....Dave Ramsey class!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Good call on the camcorder. I requested that book from my library. This past week I was ready to head off to the monastery. Do you think they let you bring kids? :)

Beth said...

Sandy,
Figuring out this comment stuff. Sorry, it took so long to publish.

Beth said...

Sandy,
I'm ready for a monastery, too. The order does have families at its monastery.