Sunday, February 14, 2010

More "Letting Go"

You'll never guess what happened. I'm pretty sure my digital video camera broke today. I opened the tape compartment to put in a new one so I could video my neighbor shooting off giant icicles with a BB gun-no we don't live in West Virginia-and the compartment won't close. To be honest, I made this purchase about 6 years ago when my youngest son was just over a year old and I became panic-stricken that I would miss his first steps. He had some developmental issues. I was tempted to launch into action. Call sony, trouble shoot, find out how to fix it, how much it will cost and how long it will take. But then, I remembered.....I'm trying to simplify, right?

The truth is, I never take the video camera to major events because I want to experience them and enjoy them in real time. I have mostly used the camera to tape everyday happenings that I don't want to forget-certainly not everyday. I've had the camera for almost 6 years, but I've probably only taped about 6 hours of video. I find the process of uploading and editing and creating DVD's too tedious.

I'm asking myself, is this little appliance worth all the energy? Maybe I should just cut my losses-in terms of time and energy. Both mine and Hannah's point-and-shoot cameras take video if I'm ever in a bind and we are going to be forced to re-evaluate our cell phone plan in April. I'm pretty sure you can't even get a phone without video. So, folks, I'm letting go.

Wasteful, maybe, in terms of monetary investment. But in terms of time and energy, I'm thinking my decision is most cost-efficient.

Thank you sony.

No comments: