Saturday, February 13, 2010

An Update on my idea about the CD's

I bought some nice little boxes for the CD's and they should look all neat organized in the cabinet. It does take energy, though. I have to build each little box from IKEA, then sort of categorize them. I refuse to alphabetize-the homeschooled children can do that- and finally, label the boxes so I don't have to open every one each time I'm looking for a CD. BUT Cheryl over at My Simple Spot may have me convinced that it's a better idea to let these things go. On the one hand, I probably haven't listened to most of them in 15 years. On the other hand, if I actually DO begin to listen to my music again, it would be a loss. What to do? Simplifying is all about being more efficient, clearing space and ultimately minimizing, right?

I've decided on a compromise, I'll get rid of any CD that I haven't listened to in the next 6 months. I think I can live with that. Maybe it will motivate me to actually take them out and play them. Also, I'll know whether they are still pleasing to my 40-something ears or at least evoke positive memories or emotions. Certainly I'll ditch the ones that have the opposite effect. I did play "10,000 Maniacs" the other day and it reminded me of my roommate in graduate school. She was a sweetie. I also remembered the time I went to see Natalie Merchant in a relatively small venue. A good memory. But I have to admit that I didn't love the songs as much as I used to. I could see my daughters liking the sound, though.

 By the end of 6 months, if I don't make an effort to listen, it will be nice to have the empty shelves. AAAHH, just the thought of it makes me feel better.

No comments: